NFPA 1001 Level I-II Firefighter Training Program
New to firefighting? Let FESTI help you rise further and immerse yourself in life as a firefighter with this intensive entry-level training program. From experiencing a real burning building to learning how to extinguish vehicles, you’ll get hands-on experience with the most exhilarating parts of being a firefighter, all in a well-designed, safe environment helmed by expert instructors.
How it works
- This course is delivered as an intense, 17-week, in-class program, on-site within our state-of-the-art training facility. You learn from the same professional fire instructors who train our own firefighters. As well, we have an extensive, associate instructor program comprised of over 80 professional firefighters, officers and subject-matter experts.
- As a participant, you have your own training wing within our operational fire-hall setting. Included are a training room, change rooms, apparatus bay and structural pumpers. You are responsible for cleaning your fire hall, repacking your fire truck and daily inspections of all fire apparatus gear.
- You’ll spend over 50% of your time developing hands-on skills, as you respond to fire scenarios in our burn house and rescue tower, climb ladders, perform search and rescue, practice firefighting survival, perform auto extrication, extinguish vehicle fires and fight flammable liquids and structure fires.
- You’ll have an opportunity to interact with our own professional firefighters, as well as firefighters from around the world.
- You’ll be provided with uniforms and personal protective equipment, but you are required to supply your own black safety shoes/boots with a CSA green tag.
What it looks like
- You’ll work in small groups of only 25 students per class, with a 5:1 student to instructor ratio on all practical evolutions. You’ll be challenged every day to develop discipline, dedication, professionalism and commitment.
- You’ll report to FESTI on time, wearing a clean uniform and prepared to work alongside fellow firefighters in team building, as you perform together such challenging tasks as daily inspections, firefighting drills, fire truck washing and responding to progressively more challenging fire scenarios.
- During the first two weeks, you’ll work on your Emergency Medical Responder course.
- You’ll follow this up with 15 weeks of Pre-Service Firefighting.
- Course hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lunch is from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. (meals are not included).
- After successful completion of the program, you’ll have the practical skills that make you firefighting ready and you’ll have a full understanding of the discipline required, as well as the kind of dedication and professionalism that fire chiefs and fire officers look for in a recruit firefighter.
- During the final week of the program, you’ll take the Office of the Fire Marshal’s (OFM) Provincial exam and practical skills assessment which is proctored at FESTI. Upon successful completion, you’ll receive IFSAC and Pro Board seals in recognition of you having achieved the NFPA 1001 level I & II, NFPA 1072 Hazardous Materials Operations level and NFPA 1006 Chapter 5 standards. Additionally, you receive the internationally recognized Accreditation from the Institution of Fire Engineers.
French translation assistance
Our bilingual instructors are able to provide French translation assistance as requested for this program.
In the furtherance of your personal protection, the use of the following four pieces of firefighting gear is required throughout the course and will be at a cost to you of $870.00, and yours to keep – this personal protective equipment can be used later in instances such as firefighter candidate testing or simply as you continue to practice your firefighting skills after course graduation:
- firefighting helmet
- firefighting flash-hood
- firefighting gloves
- firefighting boots
Additionally, you will also be required to wear structural firefighter’s protective clothing which will be sized to you by the supplier. This is a rental item to cover the entire duration of the course and will include a firefighting jacket and a pair of firefighting pants at a rental cost to you of $357.50.
The total cost for attending this course is $15,510.10 which includes HST and certification examination fees.
21 – 02:
04/26/2021 – 08/22/2021 (sold out)
21 – 03:
08/16/2021 – 12/17/2021 (sold out)
New course serials for training year 2022 will be released early August, 2021 – thank you.
Let us help you Rise Further