New to Firefighting
Becoming a firefighter is an exhilarating and rewarding journey. And at FESTI, no two days are alike. Here, you’ll get the fully immersive, hands-on training from industry leaders that you’ll need to build a successful career.
Steps to becoming a firefighter
There are some key steps to becoming a firefighter through FESTI.
- Attain your high school diploma
- Get your standard first aid and CPR level C certificates
- Assess your physical aptitude: 20/30 vision, complete FESTI physical activity readiness questionnaire
- Take the NFPA 1001 level I-II training program at FESTI or the Blended online program
- Write and pass the Office of the Fire Marshall and Emergency Management exam to achieve your certification
- OPTION: Complete 6-step candidate testing services through the Ontario Fire Administration
- Apply for jobs
Learn More about our NFPA 1001 level I-II training program and Blended online program.
5 things you need to know about being a firefighter
- You will work as a team, relying on each other to stay safe, and get the job done.
- You’re entering a family of emergency responders.
- Your training is diverse and prepares you to respond to any type of emergency.
- There are lots of exciting growth opportunities within the fire service.
- You get the unique chance to really impact your community and be proud of the difference you make.
A career with promise
As any member of the FESTI team will tell you, becoming a firefighter is incredibly rewarding. As a firefighter, your salary will vary based on location, so it is best to research your specific area for the most accurate compensation information. In Canada, the average salary for a firefighter is $96,000 to $125,000 (as of 2019).
Firefighters are also eligible for group benefits typically specific to their collective agreement. Vision care, medical, and paramedical services are often included. Pension plans and sick leave benefits are also included in many firefighter compensation packages.
Of course, you can also expect an exciting and fulfilling career.